Head picture

Head picture
Looking good at eight. (2016)

Monday, February 27, 2012

Day One

On Wednesday, February 8th, as I walking out of a classroom at the Animal Resuce League of Boston, I happened to glance at a little dog in the arms of one of the workers, and said softly out-loud, "Is that dog in adoption yet?"  I got another door or two down the hall, past the head of the volunteer department, and she started calling me back.  "I've got a dog for you" she said.  I'd euthanized my dog in October, and wasn't over that yet, but realized I needed to take the opportunity, at least on trial.

I said I wanted to walk him for awhile before I decided for sure.  I'm required to keep a dog under thirty pounds in my apartment building, and many of the small dogs aren't built for the long distances.  I walked around for more than an hour, and he was obviously enjoying that without tiring at all, but every time I went to pat him he pulled away his head in fear.

I decided he was right for me,  but I'd just bought a long overdue headboard for my room, and changed internet providers, blowing my budget for the month, and maybe a few more.  We agreed he could be taken on a foster basis, but I still couldn't touch him without scaring him, so I asked to borrow a crate and have the volunteer familiar with him put him in for the trip home on the T.  Luckily, by the time they found the right crate, and I got the behavior consultation information, he accepted a pat on the head.  I knew I could leash him at that point.

Behavior Consultations are required for "special" adoptions and fosters.  His pronounced head shyness qualified him for "special" status.

I thought he might be shy about being picked up, and panic on the T.  I knew he had confidence while walking, so I was prepared for him to stay on the floor of the bus the whole way.  Unfortunately, things were getting a bit tight on the bus, so I just grabbed him, and he was fine.

I was loaded up with dog food for a month, a couple of toys, some treats the Behavior Consultant insisted I take, anda few cans of wet food.  The trip went well, and he's settling very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment